Kyrgios suspended after positive cocaine test: Everything to know

On Wednesday, former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios announced he had tested positive for cocaine. TOLGA AKMEN/EPA/Shutterstock

On Wednesday, Nick Kyrgios, the 2022 Wimbledon runner-up and former world No. 13, announced he had tested positive for cocaine in a drug test earlier this summer and had been given a provisional suspension. The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) confirmed the results and the suspension shortly after.

The 31-year-old Kyrgios has played sparingly over the past few seasons because of a series of injuries, and last played as a wild card in doubles at Wimbledon in July. The failed test occurred while playing at a 250-level tournament in Mallorca in June.

So, what does this mean for Kyrgios -- one of the sport's most polarizing and electrifying figures of the past decade -- and his future in tennis? Here's everything we know about the positive test, the suspension and what could be next.


What has Kyrgios said about the failed test?

Kyrgios was the first to reveal the news, posting in the early East Coast morning hours Wednesday on social media. He explained he wanted fans to hear it first directly from him.

"I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine," he wrote. "I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it. I'm sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me. Above all, I'm sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets and I'm deeply disappointed in myself."

The Australian has been candid about the nearing end of his career, and said his impending retirement had weighed heavily on him.

"I'm not going to make excuses, but I do want to give some context about where I've been," Kyrgios said. "The last couple of years of injuries have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally. My body hasn't been able to do what my mind expects it to do, and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined.

"I've always said I didn't choose tennis -- tennis chose me. But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I've ever had to face. At times I've felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did."

Kyrgios then added he would be taking the next 28 days -- presumably to undergo treatment -- to step away "from social media and public life while I focus on getting myself right." He called the experience a "wake up call."

There seem to have been a number of suspensions in tennis recently, what makes this case unique?

Jannik Sinner and Iga Swiatek have been among the players in recent years to test positive for banned substances. But in both of those cases (and several others), they were deemed unintentional and as a result of contamination. But Kyrgios did not deny knowingly taking the drug in his statement Wednesday and seemed to take full responsibility.

Notably, Kyrgios was one of the most vocal critics, particularly of Sinner, on what he believed to be unfairness when it came to punishments after failed tests.

"Ridiculous -- whether it was accidental or planned," he posted on X after the announcement of Sinner's failed tests in 2024 and initial lack of suspension. "You get tested twice with a banned (steroid) substance ... you should be gone for 2 years. Your performance was enhanced."

He later called it a "sad day for tennis" when Sinner was handed a three-month suspension for the same positive tests in 2025. "Fairness in tennis does not exist," he added.

Though not a steroid and less common among failed drug tests in tennis, cocaine is also considered a performance-enhancing drug by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) because it is a stimulant and has mood-altering effects. But, while rare, Kyrgios is not the first to test positive for the substance. Dan Evans did so in 2017, as did Richard Gasquet in 2009.

While the ITIA confirmed Kyrgios' suspension Wednesday, it added that the specific length of the ban would be decided after it determined whether the substance was taken in or out of competition. He was given a provisional suspension on Aug. 4, which he has not appealed to date.

The failed test took place June 22, but it is not clear if it occurred before or after his first-round singles match against Adam Walton that day. He had been slated to play in the first round of doubles the following day but withdrew ahead of the match.

If he can successfully prove the drug was taken away from the tournament, Kyrgios could be handed a relatively light sentence of three months. But if he is unable to do that, he could be facing a maximum punishment of four years.

Evans, who retired after Wimbledon this summer, was given a one-year ban after testing positive at the 2017 Barcelona Open. He acknowledged taking the drug but denied doing so at the tournament, instead arguing it had gotten into his system from an approved medication that he had stored in the same pocket. Gasquet had been handed a provisional suspension after his failed test but was later cleared after the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) found he probably was inadvertently contaminated by kissing a woman in a nightclub. WADA had been seeking a one- to two-year ban.

No matter the length of time, Kyrgios will not be able to play in, coach or attend any Grand Slam, ATP or WTA or WorldTennis events, nor anything organized by national federations during his suspension. For Kyrgios, this could be particularly challenging as he has often been seen at events throughout the past few years, even when injured, and recording episodes of his podcasts at tournaments.

Will Kyrgios play again?

It's tough to say. After losing in the first round of doubles at Wimbledon this summer, he indicated it was his last appearance at the All England Club.

"I would probably say pretty confidently [this is] my last Wimbledon," Kyrgios, currently ranked No. 919, said. "It would be hard to see myself coming back here again and competing."

After reaching his first major final at Wimbledon in 2022, and following it up with a quarterfinal appearance at the US Open later that summer, he has played in only one major singles draw since -- the 2025 Australian Open. Competing at Indian Wells last year, he was forced to retire with the same wrist injury that had sidelined him for much of the previous two years and he was near tears as he expressed his frustrations to reporters afterward.

"I want to go out there and I want to compete," Kyrgios said. "When I had the surgery 18 months ago, if I really didn't want to play, I didn't have to rehab, I didn't have to try and get back on the court. I want to play."

But, Kyrgios has also made his love-hate feelings toward tennis clear throughout his career -- and frequently called basketball his real passion. He has previously stated he didn't see himself playing well into his 30s. "God help me if I am playing tennis at 30," he said in an interview with The Times of London in 2016. He has also been candid about his mental health, including depression, self-harm and suicidal ideation, and substance abuse, caused in part, he said, by the pressure of being a professional tennis player. In 2023, he revealed he spent time in a psychiatric facility in 2019 after a loss to Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon.

Knowing his previous challenges, injuries and mixed feelings toward the sport, it's hard to think he would continue to train at the necessary level to return if handed a substantial sentence. But if given the three months, a final Australian Open -- or even beyond -- doesn't feel out of the realm of possibility. He won the 2022 doubles title at his home Slam with longtime friend Thanasi Kokkinakis.

If this ultimately results in the end of his career, how will he be best remembered in the sport?

Perhaps the most perplexing question of them all and it depends entirely on who you ask.

Kyrgios has been revered on the court for his showmanship, highlight-worthy playmaking, unparalleled athleticism and ability to beat the best of the best when at his peak. But he has also been a lightning rod for controversy on and off the court. Since turning professional in 2013, he has made headlines for repeated verbal tirades aimed at chair umpires and officials, opponents and fans. He has also been routinely accused of making sexist and misogynistic comments, as well as physically assaulting his former romantic partner. The domestic violence charges were dismissed but Kyrgios acknowledged his guilt publicly and in court.

Only one of three players to have beaten Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer in his first tour-level meeting with all three, Kyrgios has often been considered one of the best players when at his best -- and with an unmatched natural ability.

"Nick, unfortunately, never had the discipline that was needed. If he had 30% of the discipline required -- and he has about five percent -- he'd be top 10 easily," Djokovic said of Kyrgios, whom he beat in the 2022 Wimbledon final.

Nadal was perhaps more blunt, and perhaps the most accurate, in his assessment when speaking of Kyrgios after their 2019 meeting at the All England Club. Praising Kyrgios for having many "good ingredients" to be a top tennis player, he pinpointed what he believed was the difference in Kyrgios having the potential for greatness and actually realizing it.

"That is the love, the passion for this game. Without really loving this game that much,[it] is difficult to achieve important things," Nadal said.

And that might just be what Kyrgios is ultimately best remembered for: He had everything needed to be one of the best players, and with the opportunity for multiple major titles, without the desire or the discipline. Fans might now be left to forever wonder what might have been.